by Carola Von Hoffmannstahl-Solomonoff
All Saints Eve aka Halloween is long gone. Even the Great Turkey has flown. Yet the saints keep marching in! How spectral is that? Meanwhile, back at the 200 Postcards/Got Mail Art project, folks are revving up for Xmas*. Partying with in-laws and no laws, stalking Black Season sales, and decking the motel halls with duct tape. Me no tell Santa if you don’t…
1) Making merry with balloon golf. BYOB and watch out for the holes. Go ask Cousin Alice— she fell down one!
2) Bennington, Vermont. Where a surprising amount of product can be found.
3) Anonymous Motel, Lake George, New York. An attentive staff and a TV in every room. Set amidst rolling acres of stain-resistant carpet.
4) Anonymous Motel, Lake George, New York. An attentive staff, plus cozy cabins with kitchen/bath combos.
5) Meanwhile, back in Vermont, the wacky ways of Hollywood– and organized crime– are being pondered.
6) Duct tape, used auto parts, and a heavenly calendar girl. Happy new old year, January, 1963. Cooperstown Junction, New York.
8) Hotel Mark Hopkins, San Francisco, California. A tip top view from glamorous Top of the Mark. Careful of the eye holes tho. Cousin Alice… well, you know.
9) Shinglekill Falls, Purling, New York. Postcard sez: “The water evoked reverence in early years”. Now? Folks “must scream to be heard over the roar”.
*Xmas: Though often confused with Christmas due to proximity, Xmas is a completely different holiday. Widely celebrated, its origins are somewhat mysterious. Conspiracy theorists claim Satan thought it up while “X-ing” old angel friends out of his address book. Others put the blame on Bizarro. Or possibly Mame…
Coming for Christmas: Return of the Magnificent Incoming/ Miraculous Mail Art from Around the World.
The series so far: